Stormtalon WiP

My current project is the Stormtalon. This is going to be the last Imperial Fist unit I plan on doing for a while, although I do plan on a Predator, Whirlwind and Rhino at some point for them. 

I had such a sense of childhood nostalgia when I opened this kit. It reminded me so much of the old model planes I used to make as a kid. It was a fun and relatively easy to build model. I magnetised the lascannons so I can swap out the missiles if I ever want to. I also built it in a number of sub-assemblies. Unfortunately that's where it sat for a little while. It's only been in the last couple of days that I've got any paint on to it.

Stormtalon wip base coat


There are a number of sub-assemblies. There's also still a lot of little nooks and crannies. I possibly would leave the engines separate if I had my time again. It's not too bad, but it would be easy to do and would make things a little easier.

Stormtalon wip shade and highlight

I hadn't painted a vehicle for a long time, and I got a little nervous putting the shade on. I tried not to over think it and pretty well just jumped in head-first. The only part that really did require some thought was the shading around the engines. The rotate, and so I didn't want the shading to look totally wrong when they moved. So I was a little lighter on the shading on the underneath of the engines and wings than I otherwise would be, but they did get a little, which was then deepened appropriately with the pin wash.

Stormtalon wip starting on the details

Really happy so far with how it's looking. I plan on painting the canopy structure grey, which I think will be enough for the secondary colour, with the engine cowlings and wing-tips. I may change my mind on that though, and will reassess when the rest is done.

Comments

Popular Posts